Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Turning the Corner

April 15th

I have been looking forward to this day for some time. It marks the true "middle" of my journey, the middle of April, but it is really much more than that. I was diagnosed in December, had my surgery in January, and began my chemo 6 weeks ago. Now I have only 6 more weeks to go, and after a month off to recover, I will spend July in radiation therapy. That's a little over seven months that I will be preoccupied with my cancer and treatment.  The way I see it, the worst is behind me, especially since I underwent my third course of chemo today. I have to live with the effects for three weeks but I can take great comfort in knowing that the nurses will only poke one more vein, on May 5th. After that they are not getting near me!

Today went very well. My sister, Catherine, back from her three months in Mexico, was eager to accompany me. We were able to have a good visit when I wasn't busy. Catherine took advantage of the free wool and knitting needles in the cancer centre and produced a square for the quilts that the volunteers sew together for patients such as me. 

It appears that my blood results are normal, as are my vital signs, since the medical team would not allow me to go ahead with chemo if my white blood cell counts were low. There is a trace of blood in my urine, but as I have no other symptoms of infection, the doctor believes that my previous history of kidney and bladder problems has come back to haunt me. The chemo drugs must be causing a mild irritation. I will be watchful and report any concerns, but I am not overly worried. I pay close attention to my body and I really feel normal almost all of the time. In fact, the doctor is very pleased with how I am coping with the treatment. When she first spoke to me, she listed some 20 possible side effects: I have experienced perhaps four or five of them. I am encouraged to keep doing what I have been doing, So, I have yet to miss a day of work - I really do not feel the need to take time off, so far. Maybe in May...

In fact, I am adding more to my agenda now that spring has finally arrived. Some of you know that I have had the frustration of a stiff/semi-frozen left shoulder to add to my woes. It was so bad in December that I fainted at Christmas - right in the middle of dinner. But that's another story. Frustrated with the pain and the uselessness of the arm, I decided to try acupuncture for relief: it has worked beautifully!! Since the end of March, the shoulder has been moving, and I have gained enough range of motion recently to golf and play tennis. In fact, my first golf game will be Friday. I can't wait. I have also joined the Ladies Links group to meet new golf partners and to improve my game. Bob and I have rejoined our tennis club too: with both of us (semi) retired, we can go out and hit a few balls anytime. All this activity will make the next three and half months fly by.

I have been also adding to my head attire. Today, I found a cute (free) wig in the stash at Sunnybrook, and I bought two more hats at the Parkhurst sale, for a grand total of $12.50. I have also discovered a good website for head coverings. Check it out and let me know what you think would suit me: http://www.headcovers.com/?gclid=CPDOv-6B1pkCFQEhDQodRnkdVg

I have a few tidbits to add about symptoms from the last report. I still immerse my hands in ice while I am infused with Docetaxel, but I now ice my toes as well. There are nails there too that I may as well protect. Afterwards, I cover them with "Hard as Nails" polish to prevent them from chipping. With Jessica's assistance, I am painted with colourful nail polish on top of the protective coating. I am cherry red today. Also, after most of my hair fell out, I had the rest shaved off at my hairdressers. I am slowly growing accustomed to my shiny head, but only Bob, and my sister, Catherine, have seen it so far. Eventually, I will have myself photographed bald, and will send it off to you all, as well as several other looks. I am working up the nerve, but I see these future photographs as part of the journey. I doubt if I will ever be brave enough to have my scarred breast photographed, but I want to capture my head, its shape, and how I can change my look completely with a hat or scarf or wig.

I cannot tell you how many people have commented on my "hair": how it suits me, how wonderful I look. I find it hilarious. I feel like a fraud but I have learned to say "thank you" and accept the compliments. Most of these admirers do not know I have cancer, by the way. The praise is genuine. I guess I will have to hang on to the wig even after my hair grows back for days when I want to look fabulous!! Dolly Parton wears one all the time, so why can't I?

It could be the steroids or it could be the weather, but I feel very up today. There are so many positives in my life. What is a little chemotherapy in the large scheme of things? Keep sending those good vibes. They keep me positive too.

No comments:

Post a Comment