Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I am a Junkie

March 7th

 

Some of you have been asking why I am doing chemo, since I said that I was cancer-free in an earlier email. Being cancer-free means that the disease hasn't spread, but there MAY be stray cells in my body that are ready to meet up and start another tumour. I am going through chemo and radiation to wipe those out: to use Bonnie's metaphor, it is like "sweeping the porch after the big dirt pile has been removed". Following the same analogy, radiation is like power blasting the area where the dirt pile used to be. This is spring cleaning of my cancer site.

 

My chemo was to begin on Tuesday but it got postponed until Thursday. The reason for this is that my tumour had not been approved in a German lab as of Tuesday morning. As part of the clinical trial, I have to meet the same standards as all the other participants. For that reason, my little tumour was shipped via New York to Germany in the past two weeks, so it could be examined and stored there. Cool, huh? By Tuesday afternoon, it had measured up to the requirements of the study (triple negative cancer) and I was given the go-ahead. The delay was small, so I didn't really mind. 

 

Thursday, it all started. It was a lovely day, so Pauline met me at home and we walked to the hospital. The exercise helped to heighten my "steroid flush"; this was my first drug (Dexamethasone). In the past few days, I have been given five different drugs - yikes!! As an aside, I want to thank my husband for encouraging me to stay with the TDSB extended health plan. One of my drugs cost $2500 a shot, but it is covered, after a $25 deductible. I am also very thankful to be in the Canadian Health system. I have been getting so much care, that I can't imagine how much these treatments would cost south of the border.

 

Chemo day went well. After I checked into the hospital system, I entered the chemo area to have my height and weight measured. The amount of drugs I get is based on these factors, so I had to wait about 30-45 minutes for everything to be ready. The nurse was very gentle in inserting the IV needle into my wrist area, and then I just had to sit in a recliner as fluids were pumped into me. Saline solution is mixed in with my chemo drugs. The first infusion is done rather slowly, so that my reactions can be monitored; since I had no problems, the nurse gradually increased the speed of the drip. For the first 1.5 hours, I was given Docetaxel. One of its potential side effects is to darken and make brittle fingernails, so to counteract this, I immersed my fingers into ice for 15 minutes off and on over the entire time. That was the worst part of the day, but I did not mind it too much, although it did make it nearly impossible for me to turn the pages of my novel. That was a job for Pauline. I was given an anti nausea drug (Ondansetron) when I first arrived too; it would kick in before I began the second part of chemo, Cyclophosphamide.

 

I was in the chair for about three hours. I had two roommates during that time, a woman with cancer of the oesophagus whose name I do not recall, and Ron, a man with melanoma. Both of them were doing chemo daily, so I felt almost guilty about how little I would have to undergo. Ron and I entered into a race to see who would be done first: it ended up in a tie. Pauline was also by my side to keep me company: she had made me a sandwich, she fetched me drinks and she even flushed the toilet down the hall because I could not figure out how to work the handle. With Ron and I in the chairs, Pauline and his dad keeping us company, and the various chemo staff coming and going, it was often very crowded in that little space.

 

There must have been an invisible sign above my area, saying "this woman doesn't say no", since by the end of my session, I had entered two more research studies. One was for myself and my sisters: it will explore our reactions to my breast cancer since we have no previous family history of the disease. Pauline and I decided that Catherine would not mind, and we agreed for her. The other one is about muscle and joint pain, potential side effects. I am to keep a journal about this. Neither will take much time and will help others. 

 

At about 2:00, I found the pharmacist to speak to her about my new regime of pills. At this stage, I had four new chemicals in my body: the steroids which I ingested from Wednesday until Friday; the anti nausea pills which I finished this morning (Saturday) and the two chemo drugs. I was also given another anti-nausea drug, if I need it, and advice about monitoring my bodily functions. I have become obsessed with bowel movements (I hope this is temporary) but my weight watchers lifestyle has changed my diet so much that I should manage well without laxatives and stool softeners. Nevertheless, I picked those up at Pharma Plus on the way home. Pauline, our chauffeur, Jennifer Lowden, and I celebrated my good day over tea at Second Cup.

 

On Friday afternoon, I returned to the cancer clinic to get injected with my last drug, Neulasta, an immune booster: it's the expensive one. In the future, Jennifer will administer it to me on the day following chemo. There really was nothing to this one, the slightest pinch, but I am not inclined to inject myself with anything.

 

Now I have over two weeks off. With no appointments scheduled, and no drugs to take (unless I need some of the "over the counter" variety), I decided to book a vacation for the March Break last evening. Bob and I are heading off to Washington to see Obama. I am very much looking forward to getting away! 

 

I hope these first few days in the world of chemotherapy auger well for the next three months. I am ready. I have my wig, and a couple of hats and scarves as well. I am also attending a "Look Good, Feel Better" session next week, where I will learn skin care and makeup techniques to cover up any visible signs of changes to my face. Apparently, I will get a box of free stuff!!

 

I hope you don't mind the length of these reports. It is good therapy for me to write things down and I really enjoy writing. I will try to keep the next one shorter.

 

Thanks for all your good wishes, and your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment