Monday, May 4, 2009

The Next Step

December 2nd

My biopsy was scheduled only four days after my ultrasound, so I was back to the breast clinic the next week, on December 2nd. The same radiologist, Dr.  Derek Muradali performed this procedure, again with his resident. It is interesting to see what the resident is allowed to do, as he learns his specialty.

 

In this case, he did the preparatory work (sterilizing and freezing the breast with an injection of a local anesthetic). Once I was good and frozen, he used a sort of “staple needle” to penetrate the breast tissue and “pinch” out a portion of the suspicious nodule. To locate it, the doctors use the image from the ultrasound which was on a monitor right beside them. If I wanted to, I could watch the whole thing, but I did not look. I never look at things that are attacking my body. Not my thing.

 

The resident found the pinching difficult to do, so Dr. Muradali who ended up wielding the instrument and cutting out the tissue that would be sent off to the lab for analysis. As he did so, he engaged me in conversation about favourite books (he knew I was an English teacher) and other subjects. I liked him: he was very pleasant.

 

The whole procedure took about 15 minutes. I went home, knowing that there would be results in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment