Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Positive Results

February 3rd,

 

I returned to St. Mike's today, accompanied by my friend, Anne, to see my surgeon, Dr. George, and to find out the results of the pathology on my breast lump and lymph nodes. The news is good. There was no cancer in the lymph nodes at all, so the lump that was removed contained all my cancer. Since it is gone, I do not have cancer anymore!! The pathology lab has my cancer - I gave it to them. HaHa.

 

Dr. George read through the pathology report with me, explaining the highlights. I must say, I did not find it riveting literature - I think I prefer reading my students' work.

 

Here are the highlights. The name of the cancer is "invasive ductal carcinoma", a very common type of breast cancer; the grade is III, which means that the cancer grew quickly, but since it is gone, that no longer matters; the stage of cancer is Stage I, the best possible outcome. That means the cancer has been contained in the breast. All very good

news. The one area where the news wasn't as positive as it could be is the level of estrogen which was 0%. This means I am not a candidate for tamoxifen or any other such drug.

 

You are probably wondering what happens next. I will find out the best treatment for me after I consult with an oncologist at my next appointment. I MAY choose to do chemo - or not; I MAY go directly into radiation. I just don't know yet. I also do not know when all this will happen, but the decisions about my treatment are mine to make based on the

odds presented to me. I will do some homework over the next few weeks to inform myself as much as possible about my options.

 

Doctor George also examined my incisions and removed the staples from my body. I am pleased to report that everything held together and that, according to Anne, the incisions look clean. I, of course, did not look - I haven't looked yet and I have no plans to look in the near future. I am not as brave as I pretend to be.

 

After the visit with the doctor, I saw the patient navigator, Miriam, whose job is to guide me through this journey I am on. She is a cancer survivor herself, and a nurse, besides being a wonderful person. She answered all of our questions (mine and Anne's) and helped me make one decision: I will arrange for radiation treatment, when that occurs, at

Sunnybrook. It is much more convenient for me than Princess Margaret. Miriam will also arrange my oncologist appointment for an afternoon, so that I will have no conflicts with work, where two thirds of my classes are in the mornings.

 

So, that's it. I no longer have cancer. Now I want to do everything possible to keep it that way!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary:

    Congratulations on reaching this milestone. It was a great read and an even better outcome. I know that you will do everything possible to stay cancer free and I am routing for you. Congratulations again!

    Colleen (Ron's sister)

    ReplyDelete