





On Tuesday, May 5th, I underwent my last course of chemo. This time Jan came with me to keep me company: she wore her pink scarf as a symbol of her support. The day went well – in fact, it was my best chemo day ever. For one thing, I was “served” earlier than any other time. My nurse, Amy, (the same one I had last time) was very good at finding a vein, and once I started the drip, I knew the worst was over. Since I started early, I finished early too. The weather was glorious so I celebrated by walking to and from the treatment.
I am looking forward to putting the chemo experience behind me. I will not miss the side effects of the drugs I have been on. I have already said goodbye to energy surges, the steroid flush, constipation and “hitting the wall” on day four. (Yesterday was my last Day Four: I took the day off work and crashed most of the day.) I am eagerly anticipating enjoying food again. The metallic taste has been at its worst ever recently. But I know that with each passing day, I am recovering. I recall that my surgical oncologist told me back in December how chemo works: just when you start to feel better, you get a new dose. NOT ANY MORE!!!
It will be a while before I grow hair again, June at least. As promised I have had myself photographed bald and in a variety of head coverings. My son, the photographer, tells me I have a “nice round head”, apparently a good thing in the world of baldness. Besides, the bald look, I have included my blonde wig (the free one), my grey wig (the expensive one), my milkmaid scarf - also free, The Parkhurst hat I picked up recently for a song, and the stylish baseball cap from the One of a Kind show.
I am proud of my participation in the Golf Fore the Cure event on May 2nd. I was able to raise $445 for breast cancer, as well as golf quite well in miserable weather. I also won a prize at the banquet afterwards: custom made orthotics for my golf shoes, valued at $400.
Aunt Mary! My mom only now pointed me to your blog - congrats on the end of your chemo. Thanks for sharing your tough journey with us who are so far away. I'll have to do some back reading.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I personally like the milkmaid scarf and blonde wig. :) And Graeme's right - you're head is exceptionally nice and round!
Love from Yorkshire,
Laura