Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Giving Thanks











In September, for the first time in a year, I did not have a single doctor’s appointment. The weather was spectacular, so I filled my time with golf, while picking up occasional teaching jobs at my former school. I also attended two lectures in a series put on by Sunnybrook Hospital, “Dimensions of Cancer”. The first was a presentation by a nutritionist about diet for cancer survivors such as myself. Her research supports eating natural foods (rather than processed) with an emphasis on fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts. She quoted the line from Michael Pollan’s book, In Defense of Food: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” Fortunately, I already follow this sort of diet, so her advice only served to encourage me to continue my healthy choices. I have also cut down on my consumption of red meat, (another recommendation) replacing it with poultry, fish and shellfish, but this is not a recent change; both Bob and I prefer the white meats to the red ones. However, one area where I have made a change based on that lecture is in adding a supplement to my diet. Besides the multivitamin that I take every day, I am now popping 1000 units of Vitamin D. This is strongly recommended for breast cancer survivors, and as we all know, in the fall and winter especially, we Canadians do not get enough sunshine, the natural source for this vitamin.  All in all, the lecture was encouraging: I am currently feeding my body the right things. I will have to increase my exercise, however, especially to improve my strength and flexibility: yoga, pilates and weights are in my future plans.

 

The second lecture, which I attended with my friend and fellow breast cancer survivor, Karen, featured three specialist doctors who informed us of the latest developments in three common cancers: colorectal, prostrate and breast. I learned a lot of medical information that evening, some of it over my head. Of course, as I am no longer being treated for cancer, I will not be taking advantage of these new techniques, but it is very impressive to see the progress that has been made over the years. The speaker for the breast cancer portion of the evening was my radiation oncologist, the adorable Dr. Jean-Philippe Pinole. I really enjoyed his presentation, because he was MY doctor (I admit, I have spent only about a half an hour with the man); because he is VERY French, and could not get his points across without the use of both hands (I could not decide whether I should watch him or his power point slides); and especially, because his message for those of us afflicted with breast cancer is full of hope. Since the early 90s, the research into the disease has lowered death rates remarkably and new technologies are being used every day. Just last week, wasn’t there another breakthrough in breast cancer? Really, all three doctors presented themselves as knowledgeable, professional and caring individuals. We are in good hands in this country.

 

Many of the improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer can be directly attributed to the advocacy of Susan G. Komen, an American whose sister died of the disease in the early 80s. She is the woman who began the Run for the Cure events over 20 years ago. I first became involved in this cause in the early nineties when Peter Woods, the parent of twin classmates of my daughter, Katie, and a fellow Scarborough teacher whose wife had passed away from secondary breast cancer at the time, challenged me to put together a school team from Woburn. I did just that and for three years, our group raised the most of any school participating in the event. I was proud of that.

 

I have participated in the Run for the Cure every year since that first time. The only time I did not was last October, when I was in France. Instead I sponsored Karen who had recently been through treatment.  Then I was diagnosed in December. I figured I had better not miss another run.  On October 4th, I was in Vancouver for my nephew’s wedding the day before. With Bob, Katie and Graeme, I did the walk in beautiful sunshine. Jess, who did not attend the wedding, took part in the Toronto event, texting me just before we started that she had done it for me. The experience was very emotional but very rewarding too. Thanks to all of you who sponsored me: Fran, Sue, Therese, Cris, Evan, Alanna, Margo, Janine, Pauline, Anne, Gayle, Maureen, Leslie, Wendy, Elaine, Lynne, and Marguerite. Your donations will be well used by the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. I am living proof of that.

 

On this day after Thanksgiving, I am reminded of the many blessings that have come my way this past year. I am thankful, as always, to my friends and family who have been so very supportive of me, not only as I have dealt with breast cancer since December, but also who have always been such positive factors in my life. I am very grateful to be living in Canada too. It really is a great country. I have seen both coasts of it this year.  And our health care system has, without a doubt, saved me from a different, more grim outcome from cancer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment